"Never Say Die" . . . Living with Lung Cancer

A chronicle of my journey with lung cancer. I'll share what I feel and learn along the way ~ hoping it will help my fellow travelers make their way down this rocky road that no one wants to take.

Friday, September 21, 2007

So Far, So Good . . .

As you can see, I'm trying to be much more conscientious about making entries here. It's only been a week and I'm back! C'mon guys, let's hear the wild applause! ; )

I had the first treatment of the new drug, Alimta, yesterday and it went just fine. The only problem I had was sleep deprivation. I had to start taking steroids on Wednesday and they kept me up the entire night so that by the time my treatment was finished on Thursday, I was a virtual zombie. The treatment is so short that I didn't even get my usual nap. But I'm sure not complaining!

So far I haven't had any side effects, except from the steroids. I'm very hopeful that what my doctor said is true and that Alimta is a very well tolerated drug. Of course, it will take a few more days to be sure because a few of the effects take time to show up. However, I'm planning on this being a much easier course of treatment. I don't know how many treatments I'll have in this course, I suppose it will depend on the results of my next CT scan which will probably be in three months.


Last time I told you about the classmate who contacted me about our upcoming high school reunion. Since then I've received cards from two of my old school friends with whom I'd lost touch. How wonderful it was to hear from them! So, I'm still getting some of the benefits of the reunion even though I'm not able to attend. I can't be out in crowds again and that's a pain! Oh well, it could be a lot worse, couldn't it?

Our cool weather turned hot and humid again. : ( I was just getting into that fall weather and it disappeared! So we've gone from sweatshirts back to shorts and t-shirts. However, I don't imagine this will last for too long. The trees are changing color and are beginning to look just beautiful. I'll kind of miss the summer but fall is my favorite time of year. I love the change of seasons because there are so many different kinds of beauty to enjoy. No matter if it's summer, fall, winter or spring, we're blessed with something special for each season. I think I'd get very bored if we had the same scenery all the time.

I've decided to start working at my Send Out Cards business again. It doesn't take a lot energy or time and it's fun. So, as long as I'm feeling good, I might as well be doing something productive. I can't manage copywriting now because it's very stressful and demands a lot of high energy and concentration ~ neither of which I have much of right now. So, if you're interested in saving time and money sending your greeting cards (and having a lot of fun in the process), go and check out my site at http://www.SendOutCards.com/5373. Sorry, I had to put a plug in! LOL

Well guys, I really don't have much more news tonight ~ I'm still very tired and not thinking very well so I'm going to keep this short. I'll try to do better next time.

'til then . . . stay safe and enjoy the beauty that surrounds you.

8 Comments:

  • At 9/22/2007, Blogger Peg Bastin said…

    I'm so glad things are going better for you this time! I'm
    enjoying the cooler weather too. and looking forward to
    fall and the beautiful scenery.

    Take care,

    Peg

     
  • At 9/23/2007, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hey Linda,
    I'm so glad that this treatment is easier on you than the last one. It sounds like they have good hopes for this one, huh?

    Sorry i haven't called you recently. Seems like it is one thing after another, and we are still in the fields. Hopefully be done in another week. The wet summer has really put us behind. I don't think we have ever been this late before.

    Fall is also my favorite time of year. It's time to dig the potatoes and carrots, and will be doing that this week also. We haven't had our first freeze yet, but i'm sure it is coming soon.

    Will try to give you a call this week and see how you are doing. Until then........

    Take care,

    Coke

     
  • At 9/23/2007, Blogger Linda said…

    Hi Peg,

    Thanks for reading! It makes me feel good to know you guys are out there and care about what happens to me.

    Have a great day!

    Blessings . . .
    Linda

     
  • At 9/23/2007, Blogger Linda said…

    Hi Coke,

    I can't even imagine the difficulty of the work you do on your farm. But at least now you don't have to do it in the sweltering heat of summer.

    Thanks for sticking with me.

    Blessings . . .
    Linda

     
  • At 9/28/2007, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hi Linda.
    Been a while. Not sure what my excuse is, but I was thinking of you this morning and had to stop by and check on how you are dong. I got caught up on all your posts and really enjoyed your pictures.
    Sounds like you had a great summer! It is so different in different parts of the country now - we never really did get to summer here in Seattle. My garden got a good early start and then the rabbit invasion came and devoured everything and then it got cold and wet. Go figure.
    Good to hear you are feeling well enough to think about the cards business. Perhaps I'll see you over at AdlandPro - though it's kind of like a war zone there now with bickering and backbitting going on between factions. Still, there are some grown ups with good forums - not all business oriented. Let me know if you want an update on some good ones. In the meantime, take care, Linda. You are in my thoughts. Judy Woodson

     
  • At 9/29/2007, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hi Girl
    I was sitting here at my computer playing a game and starting thinking about you. I decided to check your blog and I am glad that I did. Had not checked it for some time.
    Read all of the last few entries. Glad to hear that so far this med is not bothering you. Hope it doesn't. Glad that you are feeling better.
    By the way, I actually ordered a new battery for my darn phone. When it comes I will call and maybe it won't cut us off again.
    Take care my friend. You are always in my prayers.

    Elaine

     
  • At 9/29/2007, Blogger Linda said…

    Hi Judy,

    Thanks for stopping by ~ it's good to know you're out there. Yeah, our summer was pretty good. I know what you mean by the critters coming along and eating all your hard work. Our biggest offenders are the deer but the rabbits play their role too. I haven't seen my tulips bloom in years! This year they got my daisies and black-eyed Susans and a couple of bushes. They're lucky I love them!

    At this point I doubt I will be at Adland Pro. I'm really not on the computer very much these days. I know what you mean ~ can't some of them be juvenile? LOL

    Have a great week, Judy.

    Blessings . . .
    Linda

     
  • At 9/29/2007, Blogger Linda said…

    Hi Elaine,

    You finally gave up on that poor tired battery, huh? LOL

    Yeah, this round of chemo is much easier to tolerate ~ I haven't been sick at all and have had no bone pain. So far even my hair is hanging in there. Of course, that could change at any moment. ; )

    I hope you're feeling okay now and haven't had any more major problems with your allergies. Of course, you're listening to the doctor, right? I just knew you were!

    I'll look forward to your call.

    Blessings . . .
    Linda

     

Post a Comment

<< Home