"Never Say Die" . . . Living with Lung Cancer

A chronicle of my journey with lung cancer. I'll share what I feel and learn along the way ~ hoping it will help my fellow travelers make their way down this rocky road that no one wants to take.

Sunday, April 29, 2007

Sunday morning rambling . . .

Spring continues to gain ground here in Northern Lower Michigan. The lilac bushes are budding, daffodils are blooming and the temperatures are slowly climbing. I think our friendly (and greedy) deer ate all of the tulips since they haven't shown their little heads ~ our woodland pals seem to consider them delectable treats. Dave put the hummingbird feeders out yesterday in preparation for their arrival. He placed one right in the front window where I can watch them from my favorite chair.

It's early Sunday morning and I'm already tired because I didn't sleep well last night . . . again! This seems to be a problem that none of my doctors have been able to do much about. They've tried various sleeping pills and tranquilizers but nothing works well. I guess it's a good thing that I can nap when I need to. But, it is frustrating to wake up several times each night and not be able to fall back to sleep right away. Sometimes I get up and read or play computer games. Sometimes I force myself to just lay there and hope for sleep. Last night there was a full moon (at least it looked pretty full) so at least there was something pretty to look at. : )

I admit I'm very heavy-hearted today because my friend, Debbie, died yesterday morning. She fought a very spirited battle against colon cancer for five years but, in the end, that insidious disease won out. Everyone who knew Debbie thought that if anyone could beat it, she could. So her death leaves me sad, discouraged and a bit depressed. Not only have I lost a friend but I've again seen how powerful cancer is. Debbie had a very positive attitude, was very strong in her faith, lived her life fully during those five years and fought gallantly . . . but it proved not to be enough. My heart goes out to her husband, John, and the rest of her family. Like them, I'll miss her.

On another, more positive note, I had some good news Thursday when I had my lab work. My platelets have rebounded higher than they've been since I started chemo. My white count and hemoglobin are still low but I'm sure they're in the process of rebuilding. By the time I have my treatment on Wednesday, they'll probably be up where they're supposed to be. Just in time for the drugs to knock them down again. LOL However, my oncologist has ordered a Neulasta injection after every treatment now. That will force my bone marrow to build new white cells. That should help a lot and maybe I won't be as tired as I've been.

For someone who hates taking medication of any kind, including simple things like Tylenol, this is quite a change. If you could see all the bottles of pills, liquids and other assorted meds that fill my cupboard, you'd be amazed! And, with the exception of two tablets, they all treat the side effects of one chemo drug or another. It blows my mind! I never imagined I would be taking so many drugs! I know there are people who aren't cancer patients and take more medication than I do but it's hard to believe sometimes! On the days immediately following my treatments, I actually have to write down which med to take when because it gets so confusing. Take this one every 6 hours and this one twice a day and that one 4 times a day. The schedule gets very complicated ~ it's too much for my addled brain! ; ) Thank heaven it's only for a few days!

I've been having a small glass of wine every night. It helps to make food taste better and is also relaxing. I'm not one who is big on alcohol and haven't had more than four or five alcoholic beverages in the past thirty years. So having the wine every night is quite a switch for me. Dave kids me that I'm becoming a wino but I don't think there's much chance of that happening since 5 ounces is my daily limit. But who knows? One day I may really splurge and have 6 ounces!! : )

My granddaughter, Steph, was here the other day. She's the one who told me I looked "weird" with no hair. Six months ago Steph had beautiful sun-streaked light hair, cut in a simple style. Now she has black hair cut in something I can't even describe! Talk about weird! I don't know what gets into teenage girls that they think they have to alter their appearance so drastically. I remember when I was 14 or 15, I talked my mother into letting me bleach my bangs. My friend and I peroxided our bangs and thought we were really daring! Of course, that was in the late 50's which now seems like prehistoric times!

Well guys, I'm getting a little droopy and it's time for a nap. I'm gonna go and wrap up in my afghan, get settled in my comfy recliner and dream happy dreams.

I hope the sun is shining where you are, that you take some time to enjoy life, and that you all have a wonderful day.

Until next time . . . Treat each hour as a treasured gift and the rest will take care of itself.

4 Comments:

  • At 5/01/2007, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hi Linda,
    I'm so sorry to hear about your friend Debbie. It sounds like she was a very courageous person. My thoughts and prayers are with her family.

    It's hard to imagine that you take chemo to treat the cancer, and then you have to take all the other medications to treat the side effects of the chemo.

    The medical world is making amazing progress, so keep you chin up, as I believe you always do. Prayers are very strong, and as always, you are in mine everyday!

    Take care kiddo. Will be calling you in a week or so, so I can hear your voice and see how you are doing!

    Coke

     
  • At 5/03/2007, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hello Linda,

    It was really good to receive your email today and find out what's been going on in your life.

    I wish you the best and am prying for you.

    One of your subscribers,
    Ricardo

     
  • At 5/04/2007, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    So good to hear from you, Linda. I've checked in a couple of times and tried to leave a post once, but the blog was having none of it.

    Spring is coming rather late here in the northwest as well. The only thing I've planted so far is peas which don't mind the cold and a bit of lettuce which has barely come up.

    Sounds as if you are moving along quite nicely with your treatments. I know it must be frustrating for you, but it sounds as if you really work on your attitude, and that will make all the difference. I certainly admire you for that!

    My big medical issue right now is really a dental issue. I had beeen having problems for some time and coudn't really afford to deal with it, but about a year ago I heard of a local group that gives medical/dental grants to women and applied. Didn't hear from them for months, but then they called, gave me an interview and then gave me a grant to accomplish some new teeth. Yahoo!

    It is, of course taking longer than I thought it would, but the surgery is all done, the mouth is healing nicely and I go in for a fitting on the 15th. I can't wait. Took a bit to get used to running around town with only four teeth in my mouth, but it really isn't that debilitating and I only missed taping my radio thing for one week. Try to avoid spending too much time in front of a mirror though. ; ) (Who is that person, anyway?)

    Enough of that. So good to see you posting again. You are in my thought often.
    Judy Woodson

     
  • At 5/04/2007, Blogger Linda said…

    Hi Guys,

    Thanks for visiting! I appreciate all your comments so much!

    Yes, Coke, Debbie was a very courageous woman and I'm sure she's receiving her reward now in heaven. I'll look forward to hearing from you the next time you call. Have fun in the garden.

    Hi Ricardo! It's good to hear from you too! Thanks so much for your prayers ~ they are, indeed, the very best medicine!

    Oh Judy, so sorry to hear about your dental problems ~ I know what a pain that can be. Dave went through it several years ago. But think of how wonderful it will be when it's finally over! I also know what a shock it can be to look in a mirror! LOL

    My very warmest wishes to all of you . . .

    Linda

     

Post a Comment

<< Home