"Never Say Die" . . . Living with Lung Cancer

A chronicle of my journey with lung cancer. I'll share what I feel and learn along the way ~ hoping it will help my fellow travelers make their way down this rocky road that no one wants to take.

Friday, November 03, 2006

Life is good . . . if you allow it to be.

Yesterday was a very long and tiring day. I had to be at the Cancer Institute at 8:45 a.m. for a bone scan and didn't leave there until 2:00 p.m. It wasn't a particularly difficult test ~ just long and uncomfortable. Some of the positions the technician placed me in were definitely meant for those much younger and more flexible than I am! I suppose I was also a little more rigid than usual because of being a bit nervous. However, there really was nothing to fear. I think I actually caught a little cat nap when we finally got to the part where I could lie down and let the machine do its thing.

I'm learning a lot as I go through these various procedures. Most staff people are more than happy to explain their work and tell me all kinds of interesting things. For example, I learned all about the radioactive material they injected in my veins for the test, why and how it works. I also learned that I would be radioactive for 24 hours, with the amount still present in my bones being reduced by one half every six hours. I checked to see if I would glow in the dark last night but I didn't. LOL

It was very weird to see images of my own skeleton. They looked like decorations left over from Halloween! Brandon, my almost 11 year-old grandson, dressed as a skeleton for trick or treating and I really think, although his costume was great, that my images were a lot scarier! ; ) Of course, the technician wouldn't tell me what she saw so it's another one of those endless "wait and see" situations. I'm getting quite used to them now and no longer sit on pins and needles awaiting the results. I figure it is what it is and I'll find out sooner or later.

Unless my oncologist comes up with something I'm not expecting, I have a long break now. I don't have another appointment until next Wednesday when we meet with the surgeon who will be implanting my mediport. I need a break from all the medical types so I can get back to a normal, everyday kind life for a few days. Cancer or not, life does go on and it's nice to have the time to enjoy it.


One of my good friends, Debbie, who is also a cancer patient, shared something she read in Lance Armstrong's book, "It's Not About the Bike - My Journey Back to Life". He gave the following acronym for Cancer:

C-Courage
A-Attitude
N-NEVER give up
C-Curability
E-Enlightment
R-Remembrance

I believe those qualities can be applied to most of life's situations and are helpful whether you have cancer or not. We all face challenges of one kind or another and we all have to have the courage to meet them. We have to confront them with a positive attitude and persevere (never give up) until we resolve (cure) them. By meeting those challenges we learn from them (enlightment). I'm not sure how Lance defined "remembrance", but for my purposes here, I'll define it as remembering that we succeeded in overcoming that obstacle which gives us the confidence of knowing we have the power to meet ANY roadblock life throws in our path.

Another good friend, Elaine, sent me An Irish Blessing, that I'd like to share with you. It's very beautiful and I hope it means as much to you as it did to me. You can find it here: http://www.andiesisle.com:80/Blessings.html. Make sure you turn your speakers up because the music is awesome. After you've read the blessing yourself, Roma Downey recites it along with the music so don't click off too early.

It's supposed to snow today so my plans for later are to sit in front of the fire all cozy in my snuggly afghan, watch the snow come down and thank God that He filled this world with such beauty. Maybe you can take a few minutes to appreciate the wonderful things that surround you.

Until next time . . . Relax and enjoy life's blessings.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home