"Never Say Die" . . . Living with Lung Cancer

A chronicle of my journey with lung cancer. I'll share what I feel and learn along the way ~ hoping it will help my fellow travelers make their way down this rocky road that no one wants to take.

Monday, November 06, 2006

There is no shame in leaning on others . . .

This past weekend turned out to be a busy one.

On Friday afternoon, my sister surprised me with another visit! I didn't know she had planned this trip and it was wonderful to see her. We had lots of time to talk and reminisce. We went out to dinner with my mom on Friday evening and then spent the rest of the night chattering about this and that. Saturday morning we got our signals crossed ~ when I got up, I saw her bedroom door was still closed so, not wanting to wake her, I came into my office and closed the door. She woke up and, thinking I was still asleep, she made her coffee and sat in the living room drinking it. Had I not eventually gone out to refill my orange juice, we might have wasted the entire morning trying to keep quiet so the other could sleep! LOL

Sherry had to leave after lunch on Saturday. I think I've told you that she's a teacher and parent conferences are scheduled for this week so she had to get back home to prepare for them. But, even though the visit was short, it was a whole lot of fun. I'm so grateful to my sister for taking time she really doesn't have to spend with me. If I weren't sick, we wouldn't see each other much during the school year. These visits have been real blessings to me.

Since my two grandsons were sick this weekend, Brandon with strep throat and John with a virus, I wasn't able to spend any time with my daughter. With chemo starting this week, I can't afford to get sick so I had to stay away from them. I'm happy to report that they're both doing much better now.


Dave and I went to mass yesterday and it felt really good to be back. Father Anthony gave me two books to read, "When Bad Things Happen to Good People" and "Praying with John of the Cross." I have my doctors looking out for my physical welfare, my family and friends taking care of my emotional health, and Father Anthony working on my spiritual condition. I'd say that all the bases are covered, wouldn't you? I'm so grateful to have all of them in my corner. Without them, I think I'd be pretty lost right now. As it is, I feel I'm in excellent hands!

No one can struggle with something of the magnitude of cancer without the help of others. It's not the time to prove your self-sufficiency! No matter what your particular challenge may be; whether it's physical or not, it's really important to feel that you have others with whom you can share your thoughts and feelings. The old saying "No man is an island", is particularly true here. Don't ever think you have to go it alone, no matter what the problem may be. We need each other! Sharing lifts a heavy burden off your shoulders and it makes others feel pleased that they can do something to help, even if it's just listening and offering their support.

For now, I'm going to leave you with this thought:

"No matter how dark things seem to be or actually are,
raise your sights and see the possibilities -
always see them, for they're always there."

- Dr. Norman Vincent Peale


Until next time . . . Remember that you never have to go through dark times alone.

2 Comments:

  • At 11/07/2006, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    So glad you have so many people surrounding you. You are so strong and always an inspiration. If you ever need to chat you can always email me anytime. Keep staying strong! and if you want anymore info on alternative therapies as well feel free to let me know and I'll get you a list together of recommendations. I have a couple of books I can send to you as well.

    Christin

     
  • At 11/16/2006, Blogger Linda said…

    Hi Christin,

    You're so great to offer! All help is appreciated. I'll definitely stay in touch because I have to make sure you finish that book!

    Blessings . . .

     

Post a Comment

<< Home