"Never Say Die" . . . Living with Lung Cancer

A chronicle of my journey with lung cancer. I'll share what I feel and learn along the way ~ hoping it will help my fellow travelers make their way down this rocky road that no one wants to take.

Monday, November 27, 2006

Catnaps in the fog . . .

It appears that I'm back in my low energy mode, at least for the time being. I'm sure that's a result of my white count dropping last week. Now my bone marrow has to work really hard to produce more. I've been cat-napping a lot. If I'm not up and moving, it seems like I'm nodding off. But, my body needs rest in order to continue its fight so I don't feel guilty about it. This is probably the only time in my life when no one will blame me for being lazy. ; )

It appears our sunny, warm weather is over. Today, while still warm, was very foggy. I couldn't believe how much worse it got in just a couple of hours this afternoon. It was a great day for cuddling up with my afghan and taking naps. Tomorrow is supposed to be much colder and then we're getting snow again at the end of the week.

My son is coming in from California on Friday and I have a feeling he won't be happy to see the snow and feel the frigid temps. After spending the last 12 years in Southern California, he isn't at all acclimated to our weather anymore. John said he doesn't even have a winter coat anymore so I promised that the only time he'll have to experience the cold is going to and from the car. He was born and raised in this climate so I always tell him he's turned into a wimp where weather is concerned. ; )

I have my second chemo treatment on Thursday, unless my white count interferes, and I'm hoping it goes as uneventfully as the first. I now know I'll be wired from the steroids on Wednesday, Thursday and Friday and that I can expect not to sleep much. Since John will be here on Friday night I won't have to worry about late night company since he'll still be on Pacific time and will probably stay up with me. I can hardly wait to have some good, long talks like we used to!

Jenn finished the hat she was knitting for me so now I have something cute to hide my bald head when I don't feel like wearing the wig. There are still quite a few of those straggling hairs that are very determined to hold on so Jenn trimmed them all to about a quarter inch. They aren't quite as ugly that way. Now one of my favorite pastimes is brushing my bare head because it feels so good. My scalp is quite itchy and that brush feels glorious. Who would ever think that brushing your scalp would provide such enjoyment??

I guess it just shows how much life can change and that we have to be adaptable to its changes. I'm actually getting used to seeing that little alien with the big eyes in the mirror every day! Without hair, it seems like your eyes grow larger. I still have eyebrows and lashes and will be sad when they fall out. I think that will bother me more than losing my hair. But, that' s really a minor thing in the grand scheme of things too. While cancer patients want to look good too, I can't imagine one who would prefer hair over health.

Isn't it funny how priorities change?

Until next time . . . Don't be afraid of change.

3 Comments:

  • At 11/28/2006, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    You make me laugh every time I read. I bet you can't wait for John to come. Hopefully there won't be any weather delays. Iam so glad that he gets to stay an extra day. I will be thinking of you guys this weekend, don't have to much fun without me. Miss you, and I hope you feel better soon. make sure that my husband takes really good care of you. I hope you both have a wonderful time together.

    Love,
    Fleecie

     
  • At 11/29/2006, Blogger Linda said…

    Hi Fleecie,

    Bad, bad weather is forecasted for Friday . . . let's hope they're wrong or John may have icicles on his nose. : ) I miss you too but it's not that long until you'll be coming. I'm sure John will take good care of me and that we'll have a great time. Take care, Fleecie! We'll call you.

    Love,
    Mom

     
  • At 4/17/2013, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    buy tramadol online tramadol overdose and seizures - tramadol 100 mg erowid

     

Post a Comment

<< Home