"Never Say Die" . . . Living with Lung Cancer

A chronicle of my journey with lung cancer. I'll share what I feel and learn along the way ~ hoping it will help my fellow travelers make their way down this rocky road that no one wants to take.

Friday, November 24, 2006

It's all gone . . .

What a day this has been! When I got up this morning, I scared myself silly! I had little tufts of hair all over my head along with great big bald spots. I looked like some scary creature I've seen in the movies or on TV but I can't think of his name. I decided that I couldn't look like that so I pulled all the hair out that wanted to come out and was left with just some stragglers on top. LOL It really looked quite comical. I also discovered that hair really does keep your head warm! I got cold and had to put on a winter knit hat.

Later, Jenn decided she wanted to knit me a hat so we went to the yarn shop and got yarn and a pattern. The ladies who work there were great and it turns out that one of them is a 4-year breast cancer survivor. She gave me a lot of tips as well as being very helpful picking out a pattern. Jenn and I had a lot of fun.

I get to be chauffeured because the driver's side shoulder belt goes right across the incision for my medi-port. However, we took the dressing off yesterday, as instructed, and it looks really good. It also feels a lot better without the big old bandage. It doesn't hurt at all now unless I accidentally rub it or something.

This afternoon, the wig I ordered a few days ago arrived and we had fun with that. It's going to take a little while to get used to having it on my head and I probably won't wear it all the time but it has a bit more style than the bald look. ; ) Dave really likes it and so do Jenn and my mother. Stephie, my 13 year-old granddaughter told me I look weird but John, who's 9, said it looked just like my "other" hair. I'll tell you, this is the first time in my life I've had "hair" that will actually do what I want it too. That can't be bad! I kind of felt like I'd been to the salon for styling and color!

Today was an absolutely beautiful day with temps in the 50s and lots of sunshine. It was a perfect day to go on an outing. The fresh air felt wonderful! It was also fun to do something different. Lately, it seems like anytime I go anywhere, there are medical personnel involved ~ this was a pleasant change. It's called living life like normal, healthy people and I intend to do a lot more of it.

My friend, Elaine, sent me this quote and I think it's beautiful:

"I will love the light for it shows me the way, yet I will endure the darkness for it shows me the stars."
- Og Mandino

Isn't that a lovely concept? Sometimes we tend to forget that without darkness, light would mean nothing . . . Without tears, laughter wouldn't be as joyous . . . Without pain, we'd never appreciate feeling good . . . And, without difficulties, we would never grow. So, when things aren't going the way we'd like, we'd be wise to stop and consider all the goodness in our lives, focus on that and get through the bad times as quickly and as positively as possible. I truly believe that's how we live happy, fulfilled lives.

Until next time . . . Live each moment with joy in your heart.

4 Comments:

  • At 11/25/2006, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

     
  • At 11/26/2006, Blogger Linda said…

    This is no place for spam.

     
  • At 11/26/2006, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Loved your blog!!!!! You make me so happy when I read what you write. Just a couple of days until you get to see John. What a special moment that will be. Hopefully your next treatment won't make your bones hurt. I am always thinking about you, and I want to be there to take care of you, and to make you yummy dinners. Talk to you soon.

    love,
    Fleecie

     
  • At 11/27/2006, Blogger Linda said…

    Hi Fleecie,

    I'm glad you like reading. And I'm even more glad that what you read makes you happy. ; ) Yeah, it won't be long now . . . I can hardly wait to see John. Wish you were all coming but your visit with Jordan will give me something else to look forward to. It sounds like you intend to pamper me! I can deal with that! : )

    Give John and Jordan a hug for me and, of course, consider yourself hugged too.

    Love,
    Mom

     

Post a Comment

<< Home