"Never Say Die" . . . Living with Lung Cancer

A chronicle of my journey with lung cancer. I'll share what I feel and learn along the way ~ hoping it will help my fellow travelers make their way down this rocky road that no one wants to take.

Saturday, November 18, 2006

Early morning meanderings . . .

Hi Guys! Here it is 5:00 in the morning and, for some unknown reason, I'm awake! This has been happening a lot lately ~ it seems my body is determined to wake up much too early. It's quiet ~ Dave, Chessie and Casey are all fast asleep. The only sound I hear is the hum of the furnace. It's very dark outside ~ not even the moon is visible. I just lit my favorite candle ~ Christmas Tree ~ which has a wonderful pine aroma mixed with other scents that makes it very special. I have the light turned low and, all in all, have a very cozy feeling.

As I mentioned before, two lovely ladies cleaned our house on Wednesday and now it sparkles again. On Thursday, Dave and Jenn took the languishing laundry to the laundromat and washed and folded it all. So now I have a wonderful feeling of well-being. Everything is in it's place! It's amazing how much all this has improved my attitude. I think maybe it has something to do with feeling in control again. I look around the house and think, yeah, I can do little things, a bit at a time, to keep things in order. Before, what needed to be done was so overwhelming that I found it depressing.

I don't think that's a feeling that only strikes the ill. In our everyday lives if we allow things to get away from us, to become too overwhelming, we fall into a state similar to paralysis. The tasks that confront us seem so daunting that we're reluctant to tackle them. And, of course, the longer we put off starting, the worse things become. But, once we work to get everything in order again, it isn't that hard to keep up with what we need to do. In my case, I had my angels to make things easy for me. I feel very fortunate.

On the way to the Cancer Institute for my weekly blood draw on Thursday, I was telling Dave just how lucky I feel to have so many people to help and support me. I was thinking of all those poor souls who have no one and how difficult it would be to face this fight alone. I can't even imagine how hard that would be. Knowing that you have people who are there for you makes all the difference in the world. Whether the battle is illness or any other of life's big potholes, we need to be surrounded by those who love us and who care what happens to us.

Sometimes, we may suffer alone because our pride won't allow us to ask for help. But I've found that there are many, many people who are just waiting to be helpful. I think there is an innate kindness in most people and they really want to do what they can to make life easier for others. I don't think there is reason for any of us to face difficulties alone. Sometimes all you need is a person to talk with. Other times you may need the opinion of others to help you make an informed decision. At still other times, just a gentle touch from another person makes you feel better. I guess what I'm saying is that we shouldn't be reluctant to accept the help and kindness of others. Trying to be too self-sufficient can be hazardous to your health and happiness.

My blood tests were all within normal range and my chemo nurse was happy. She told me to keep on doing whatever I'm doing. My white count has, of course, fallen but it must still be what they consider normal a week after chemo. Forunately I didn't have to have any of the injections they give when the counts are off.

There was another patient getting his chemo treatment and he had a big button on the front of his shirt which read, "Cancer Sucks". It made me laugh. He said his mother had sent it to him and he was going to go on the Internet and order a dozen of them. You have to have a sense of humor to play in this league. LOL

Before I close this post, I want to thank all the people who have added sunshine to my life this week ~ there are too many of them to mention but they know who they are!

Dave, Mom, Jenn, John, Sherry ~ you're the greatest!

Until next time . . . Look for the kindness that surrounds you.

2 Comments:

  • At 11/18/2006, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    My prayers are with you. I will check in now and again. Keep well and think 'good'.

     
  • At 11/19/2006, Blogger Linda said…

    Thanks Anonymous,

    I'm glad you'll be back and I truly appreciate your prayers. I will do my best to keep well and think "good". ; )

    May God smile on you.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home