"Never Say Die" . . . Living with Lung Cancer

A chronicle of my journey with lung cancer. I'll share what I feel and learn along the way ~ hoping it will help my fellow travelers make their way down this rocky road that no one wants to take.

Tuesday, November 14, 2006

Just another day in "Chemoville" . . .

Hi Guys! This is probably going to be a short post today because the ugly old chemo "side effect bug" has struck! ; ) But I did want to let you know what's going on.

I was supposed to have my medi-port implanted yesterday but when I went to see my doctor beforehand, she sent me to the ER because of severe abdominal pain instead. Dave and I were there almost all day while they scanned and "dopplered" me. The CT scan indicated I had a blood clot but then when they did the Doppler utrasound in turned out not to be the case. Thank God and all his angels! Evidently the CT scan was a false positive. I was pretty nervous there for awhile but, Dave kept me on an even keel and didn't allow me to panic as I would have if left to my own devices.

Everyone in the ER was extremely nice and professional so the experience wasn't neartly as bad as it could have been. It turns out that the most likely culprit is constipation which was probably caused by the drug I took to prevent nausea and vomiting. LOL You just can't win sometimes! : ) It turns out I also have a sinus infection and thrush in my mouth. So, armed with three different prescriptions, we finally got to come home.

Besides the abdominal pain, I've been experiencing a lot of bone pain. It makes me feel about 90 years old. But then again, as John, my son, pointed out a few nights ago ~ it will only be 28 years until I AM 91! I thought it was nice of him to let me know that, don't you? ; )


Anyway, I'm doing fine but lying a little low with the heating pad for company. Cancer treatment is definitely not for wimps! I knew going in there were bound to be days like this so it doesn't come as any big surprise. However, I am looking forward to feeling good again and being able to walk without hobbling!

I've gotten all kinds of great cards and gifts from my friends which really makes me feel a whole lot better. People really are wonderful! Elaine sent me a collection of Steve Goodier's books and, if you've never read him, I recommend him highly. He writes in an easy, spiritual way that really can be profound. So, when you're in need of inspiration, check Steve out. Thanks to everyone who has taken the time to email, send cards, call, offer gifts and special masses and, of course, prayers, etc.~ I appreciate you all so much!

Driving home from the Seton Cancer Institute late yesterday afternoon was really beautiful. It started snowing huge flakes and everything was coated (except the road, fortunately) with white, downy blankets. It's scenes like that which remind me how much I love living up here in the middle of the "boondocks".

Later on the in the evening, we sat and watched the snow come down and talked about our hectic, tense day. Both dogs were asleep and it was so very peaceful. It was a lovely ending to a stress-filled day.

Until next time . . . Find peace and beauty in simple things.

2 Comments:

  • At 11/15/2006, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

     
  • At 11/16/2006, Blogger Linda said…

    This is not the place to spam!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home