"Never Say Die" . . . Living with Lung Cancer

A chronicle of my journey with lung cancer. I'll share what I feel and learn along the way ~ hoping it will help my fellow travelers make their way down this rocky road that no one wants to take.

Thursday, December 07, 2006

Back again ~ with this, that and everything . . .

Sorry to have been missing in action for so long but it's been a busy time.

Last Thursday I had my second chemo treatment. My white count had rebounded wonderfully and went from way below normal to almost the top of the normal range. I guess my bone marrow was really working out and that's why I was so darn tired. The treatment was uneventful and I didn't have any problems except for the bone pain which is getting a little better each day.

Of course the highlight of the week was John arriving from California. He came in on Friday and the weather just didn't want to cooperate! We had a big winter storm which made driving a lot hazardous. However, after waiting for several hours to make sure John's flight would even be able to land, we made it safely to the airport to pick him up even thought the trip took about twice as long as it normally does. I was so thrilled to see him . . . you can't even begin to imagine!

It was entirely a family weekend ~ everyone wanting time with John ~ my mother, Jenn and her kids, Dave and me. It was wonderful! We didn't do anything special except visit and that was more than enough!. There's nothing that can replace having your whole family in one place! And, to John's credit, he didn't hole up in the house to avoid the very cold weather we had. He was out and about with his sister and his grandmother. It was me who stayed pretty close to hearth and home. ; ) There were lots of laughs and good conversations that I can recount until he comes again.

We weren't expecting bad weather on Monday when we had to return John to the airport but we got it anyway! He maneuvered the car well, especially considering he hasn't driven in snow and ice for years. He had some fun scaring Jenn who is a very paranoid winter driver but, of course, never drove dangerously. All too soon we were at the airport and saying goodbye again.

The visit may have been short but I wouldn't have traded it for a million dollars.

John even looked at my bald head and didn't gasp! LOL As for me, I'm getting used to it. I've developed some contact dermatitis from either the wig or the knit caps and my scalp itches like crazy! I feel like a dog must feel with fleas! : ) I finally had to go to the doctor yesterday to find out for sure what was causing the big, red blotchy bumps and ended up with some steroid cream to help it. Meanwhile, I'm not covering my head at all in the house ~ hoping the air will help cure it. So, anyone who comes to visit must be prepared for my little bald head.

Later today, I have to go to the Cancer Institute for my weekly blood check. Hopefully the counts will still be in the normal range and I'll still have energy for awhile. If high spirits can keep them elevated, I should be okay because I loved John's visit and having my whole family around for the weekend. It was really a high point for me.

If I ever needed a reminder that family is the top priority, I don't need it now. It's such a great feeling to be surrounded by love! Of course, they pamper me shamelessly ~ probably a lot more than I deserve ~ and make me feel like the most important person in the world. I could get spoiled but I don't think I will. I appreciate it so much.

It's been a little lonely since John left ~ the typical empty nest syndrome I guess ~ but we've talked a lot on the phone and that helps a great deal. Now I'm looking forward to the next visit from Fleecie and my granddaughter, Jordan. I'm sure John will be back, too, when he can get a little longer time off. I have so very much to be grateful for and I never forget it for a minute.

Here's something that is posted at the Cancer Institute ~ I asked Jenn to copy it down for me while I was having my treatment:

What Cancer Cannot Do . . .

Cancer is so limited . . .
It cannot cripple Love
It cannot shatter Hope
It cannot corrode Faith

It cannot destroy Peace
It cannot kill Friendship
It cannot suppress Memories
It cannot silence Courage
It cannot invade the Soul
It cannot steal Eternal Life
It cannot conquer the Spirit.

-Author unknown

No matter what your personal challenge is, just replace it for the word "cancer" and the same will apply. The human spirit is stronger than anything it confronts and can make anything bearable . . . As long as you let it.

Thanks to all of you who are going through this journey with me ~ you'll never know how much it means to me. The world is filled with such caring and kind people it's totally overwhelming. Don't wait for a crisis to realize this.

Until next time . . . Remember that there is much more good than bad surrounding each of us.

6 Comments:

  • At 12/07/2006, Blogger Peg Bastin said…

    Hi Linda!

    So glad you're doing well and had a great visit with John.

    I missed you and was hoping you didn't have a problem with your treatment. Kept telling myself that you were enjoying your family and I was right!

    Ron and I are going to PA next week to visit my family before the weather decides to change. I guess I won't complain too much that we're in the 40's now instead of the 60's! LOL

    Take care,

    Peg

     
  • At 12/07/2006, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hey Linda,

    I'm so glad to see your new post. I was hoping you were spending an enjoyable amount of time with your family.

    I'm so glad you are getting along well with your treatments.

    As always, your updates are very refreshing. Wishing you continued blessings and you are in my prayers!

    Coke

     
  • At 12/07/2006, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hi Mom! It's me Fleecie. Just got done reading your post, and now I'am sitting on the couch with John and Jordan just thinking about you. It's about 11:30 your time. Hopefully your fast asleep, tucked in your warm blankets. Hopefully your bone pain has decided to leave and not come back until the next treatment, or never again would be nice. Jennie and Steph had a good time laughing at Jordan on the web cam. I can't believe it took this long to get one. Hopefully you can hook yours up soon. Take care and keep writing.

    Love,
    Fleecie

     
  • At 12/08/2006, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hey, Girl

    Yes, I am writing here instead of an email or calling.

    Glad to see your new entry. I was beginning to wonder. I knew you were busy with visiting with John. What a marvelous weekend you all must have had. I am so happy that he got to visit. Pampering is good-but don't let it go to your head, lady. Kidding

    Take care my friend. Will talk later.

    By the way, all is well here.

     
  • At 12/10/2006, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hi Linda.
    Just checking to see how you are doing. Sounds like your visit with John was great! I managed to get a little family time in on Thanksgiving as well with my eldest son and his wife. The family is so scattered about these days, it's really a treat when any of us manage to get together - and a Thanksgiving without having to cook was a special treat as well as it's been at my house the past several years.

    Sounds as if your treatment is going well. All that talk about your lack of hair reminded me of when I was working in an office and one of our supervisors had breast cancer. When she first lost her hair, she tried all sorts of hats and scarf arrangements, but then after a while she decided she didn't mind being bald and just let it be. She recovered very well, by the way and was an inspiration to us all.
    Do continue to take care of yourself, Linda, and know that my thoughts are with you. Judy Woodson

     
  • At 12/18/2006, Blogger Linda said…

    Hi Guys!

    Thanks so much for your comments! I'm glad that all of you are doing well and that you visit this blog now and then.

    Yeah, time with family is so important ~ that fact is reinforced every day. It somehow makes preoccupation with other things seem insignificant.

    You have no idea how much your support means to me ~ in the terms of MasterCard (or is it Visa?) . . . it's priceless!

    Blessings to you all . . .
    Linda

     

Post a Comment

<< Home