"Never Say Die" . . . Living with Lung Cancer

A chronicle of my journey with lung cancer. I'll share what I feel and learn along the way ~ hoping it will help my fellow travelers make their way down this rocky road that no one wants to take.

Friday, December 22, 2006

Happy Birthday, John!

I just have to start this entry with happiest birthday wishes for my son, John. It doesn't seem like that long ago he arrived in the midst of a very large snow and ice storm. I remember that day so clearly even though it's now been 36 years! I look at him, at 6' tall, and wonder how in the world he got from that 7 pound infant to this big man! I suppose most mothers feel the same way when they look at their grown sons.

I told John that even though I had my doubts sometimes along the way ; ) I'm very proud of the man he's become . . . and I am! I couldn't ask for a better son. That's why I hope this birthday is the start of an exceptionally good year that brings him and his family everything they need and treasure most. I hope it's a year filled with love, laughter and peace. Those are my wishes for you, John. And I thank you for all you give to me! I love you!


The halfway mark . . .

I had my third chemo treatment yesterday which marks the midpoint of this course. It went well and I feel fine except for being a bit tired. My face is quite flushed but it just gives me a rosy glow. : ) Soon, we'll see if the reduction in the Taxol lessens the bone pain a little. It would be nice not to hobble around like a 90 year-old woman. LOL

As I told you, I'm having a CT scan on Tuesday to find out what affect the chemo has had on the tumors. As I'm sure you can imagine, I'm hoping it's been very effective! I admit I'll be very disappointed if there is little or no change. I'd really appreciate all of your prayers for this momentous occasion! : )

The price of wellness . . .


We got our first billing from Hematology and Oncology and were shocked to find that one of the drugs I'm taking costs $12,600 for just 10 mg. Can you imagine? So far I've had it three times to the tune of almost $38,000! It's no wonder the drug companies are doing so well while doctors and hospitals struggle. It also helps to explain why insurance costs keep rising. I'm not going to say this drug isn't worth it, it's too early to tell. If it helps save my life, I'm sure I'll think it is. However, what do people do who don't have health insurance? Does it mean that they can't have the benefit of this drug? If so, that's just not right. It seems like there are just too many inequities in this world.

I was touched . . .


I had an appointment with my Family Nurse Practitioner, Connie, on Wednesday. Connie has been wonderfully supportive during this time but she still managed to surprise me. She gave me some fuzzy, soft and warm slipper socks, a set of lotions and a Christmas candle! She said she wanted to give me something I could pamper myself with. I was overwhelmed by her kindness. There are just so many wonderful people out there. I know I say that a lot but it's so true!

No snow for Christmas . . .

It's beginning to look like we won't have a white Christmas up here in the northland this year. Right now it's raining and and the temps are in the 30's and 40's. According to the weather forecasters, there isn't much chance for snow in the immediate future. I guess that's good for travelers but I have to admit that I'll miss it on Christmas Day. It's been quite some time since we've not had snow for
the holiday. However, despite the weather, there is still magic in the season and that's what I'm going to be focusing on. I hope you are too. All the Christmas lights, carols and the feeling of love and goodwill more than make up for a lack of snow. The important thing isn't all the baubles and wrappings . . . it's God's gift to us ~ Jesus.

I hope all of you are having a beautiful Christmas season and that between shopping, wrapping, parties,etc., you have time to relax and enjoy the warmth and the spirit of Christmas, loving time with your families and all the other things that make this such a special time of the year.

Until next time . . . Wrap yourself in love.


3 Comments:

  • At 12/24/2006, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hi!
    Merry Christmas. I hope that all of you can get together and have some fun.

    Yes, snow would be nice.

    I will be traveling Monday to spend Christmas night with the parents.

    Take care.
    Elaine

     
  • At 12/24/2006, Blogger Peg Bastin said…

    Happy Birthday John!

    Am praying for good results from your CT scan. Isn't it amazing what kind of money the drug companies demand? How do they expect sick, non-working folks to pay these outrageous prices?

    Enjoy your Christmas with your family, with or without snow! I
    visited with my twin grandkids Saturday for Christmas, and will be having breakfast at my oldest son's home Christmas morning.

    Take care,
    Peg

     
  • At 1/02/2007, Blogger Linda said…

    Hi Elaine and Peg,

    It sounds like you had some wonderful Christmas plans and I hope you enjoyed yourselves.

    We had a very quiet family Christmas and it was lovely. The whole family got together except for John, who, as you know, was just here, and Dave's kids who are scattered all over. Everything was low key ~ just the way I like it.

    It didn't snow a flake until the day after Christmas and that didn't stick around. But even tho we had a brown Christmas, it was beautiful.

    Blessings . . .
    Linda

     

Post a Comment

<< Home