"Never Say Die" . . . Living with Lung Cancer

A chronicle of my journey with lung cancer. I'll share what I feel and learn along the way ~ hoping it will help my fellow travelers make their way down this rocky road that no one wants to take.

Wednesday, January 10, 2007

Just a Bunch of Rambling Thoughts . . .

The sun is shining today and we have snow on the ground for the first time in quite awhile ~ too bad it didn't come in time for Christmas. But my day would be bright anyway because of the test results we got yesterday. I admit that I was very nervous about that. I would have been awfully disappointed and disheartened had there been no improvement in my CT scan. Now I know the chemo is working and that makes all the difference. I'd hate to think that I lost my hair and have put up with the other side effects for nothing. ; ) But, more importantly, I know now that I am making some headway in my battle. If there had been no change or if the tumors had grown that wouldn't bode well for my future.

I haven't told you guys about the other battle I'm waging and losing . . . my weight! Who would ever think that a patient with lung cancer and on chemotherapy would be getting heavier! When I picture someone in that position, I imagine a skinny person. But lo and behold . . . I'm not! My doctors are pleased that I'm gaining weight but I'm certainly not! I sure wouldn't want to look emaciated but neither do I want to turn into a blimp! My oncologist said the weight gain is due to the steroids I'm taking ~ not only do they increase your appetite but they cause you to retain fluid. So, I guess I just have to put up with it until the chemo is over. : ( They tell me, in this case, weighing more is a good thing. (This comes from a doctor who has a perfect, slim body!)


I have to admit that chocolate may be playing a small role in this . . . since they told me that I can have sugar, I've celebrated by eating Mounds bars, Almond Joy bars, Snickers bars, Belgian chocolate and chocolate shakes. To one who hasn't eaten these in at least 25 years, they taste especially wonderful! However, I've told Dave not to buy me any more of them . . . I have to find another, less caloric way of pampering myself. But hey! Dark chocolate, coconut, almonds, and peanuts are supposed to be good for you! : ) (Isn't that called rationalization?)

I just bought some hats and scarves so that I can be stylishly bald. They are so much more comfortable than wigs. They are all cotton and don't make my scalp itch or create red bumps all over my head. That's quite a relief! The wig gets really hot and makes me uncomfortable so this is a pleasant change. Besides, I feel so fake in the wig - it may look natural but it sure doesn't feel that way. I'm always afraid it's going to move or something and make me look stupid. No one wants to wear a cockeyed wig! LOL

I've been reading a lot, especially during my tired times. It's so nice not to have to feel guilty about indulging in one of my favorite activities. The only schedule I have to worry about is that for my treatments and blood tests. I don't have to worry about marketing and project deadlines and I have to admit I'm enjoying that freedom. At this point, I don't know if I will ever get back to my copywriting business. This experience has changed me and my priorities a great deal. Somehow Internet marketing just doesn't hold the appeal it once did. I haven't made any definite decisions but I'm leaning toward just enjoying my life instead of working so hard. I'll let you know more about this when I'm sure what I want to do.

Well guys, that's about it for today. My book is beckoning me and I don't think a nap is too far off either. ; )

Until next time . . . It's your life, live it the way you want to.

4 Comments:

  • At 1/11/2007, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Glad to hear the great news.
    Finally got to read your entry inbetween rounds-yes, I'm at work.
    What a relief to hear that the treatments are working. I know that you are beside yourself with relief. Hang in there, girl.

    Now, about the chocolate...

    Will talk later.

    Elaine

     
  • At 1/11/2007, Blogger Linda said…

    Hi Elaine,

    Yes, I'm ecstatic! : ) Thanks for all the support you've given me along the way. I'm sure to need more so don't stop now.

    Having treatment #4 today and, hopefully, it will kill off some more cancer cells.

    I know, I know . . . you don't need to lecture me about the chocolate! ; )

    Blessings . . .
    Linda

     
  • At 1/16/2007, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hi Linda,
    Checking in to see how you are doing. Do not worry about indulging your chocolate cravings. Dark Chocolate in particular because it has a lot of antioxidants in it that are healthy. A few extra calories are nothing compared to what you have already worked through!

    I was in the hospital myself in December and was pumped full of a lot of steroids and unfortunately one side effect is weight gain and retention among others.... Don't let that get you down and realize that it is only temporary!

    Keep on fighting you're doing fine :) Something to consider if you want some more help through the diet (Ive been studying nutrtion) Eat more alkaline based foods, it will help keep your body from getting too acidic from all the drugs and stuff and will actually help you feel perkier. You can do a google search for "alkaline foods" and plenty of resources should come up.

    Thinking of you! and working once again on the manuscript you helped me with. About time I picked it back up!

    Blessings,
    Christin

     
  • At 1/18/2007, Blogger Linda said…

    Hi Christin,

    First of all, yes, it is time you continue working on your book! I'm so happy to hear that you're going to!

    I know that most of this weight is temporary and due to all the drugs I'm being subjected to. I'm not going to let me it throw me, although it doesn't do much for my ego! LOL Primarily, I'm just happy to be doing well ~ extra pounds or not!

    I'll follow your advice and look up the alkaline foods ~ it seems to me I heard that somewhere else too. I don't think I'll stop eating chocolate (although I may moderate my intake a tad) any time soon. ; )
    There have to be some special treats, even for those on chemo! LOL

    I'm sorry to hear that you were ill and I hope you're feeling well now.

    Thanks for stopping by ~ it's always good to hear from you. : )

    Blessings . . .
    Linda

     

Post a Comment

<< Home