"Never Say Die" . . . Living with Lung Cancer

A chronicle of my journey with lung cancer. I'll share what I feel and learn along the way ~ hoping it will help my fellow travelers make their way down this rocky road that no one wants to take.

Sunday, January 14, 2007

Warm Thoughts on a Wintry Morning . . .

I'm up bright and early this morning so I thought I'd spend this time with you guys. The weather has turned ugly; it's quite frigid outside and we're expecting ice and snow. We cozied up in front of the fire last night so that was warm and nice. There are definite advantages to wintry weather! Snow is always nice to look at from the inside but I had hoped to get back to trekking with the dogs and it looks as though that won't be happening for awhile since I'm a klutz on ice! I especially don't want to break anything now!

I received my fourth treatment on Thursday and it went well. Even the bone pain is at a minimal. Of course, as soon as I say that, it will probably rear it's ugly head and let me know the power it can wield! That's okay, I can take it! It's a minor inconvenience as long as I know the chemo is doing it's job.

The worst thing about being sick is not being able to do the things I would normally be able to do. Sometimes that gets a little disheartening but then I have to stop and think about some of the other chemo patients who are confined to wheel chairs, oxygen tanks and the like. I have no right to complain in light of all they go through just to make it through the day. I am blessed and I hope never to forget that.

You might think that it's pretty dismal in the chemo room but it isn't. There's a lot of chatter and laughter among the patients and the nursing staff. Conversation doesn't all center on illness either but, instead, on a myriad of other topics. Our two nurses, Mary Ann and Chris, are very personable and warm and do everything they can to make chemo a pleasant experience for us.

The room itself is like a sunroom ~ it's very bright and homey. We each have a recliner chair with a TV and pillows and afghans to make us comfortable. Our visitors have chairs right beside us. We can talk, watch TV, read, sleep, eat, work on crafts . . . anything we feel like doing. People are always bringing in goodies for us to munch on . . . brownies, cookies, cake, candy, muffins, fruit bars, trail mix, you name it . . . maybe that has something to do with my weight gain. ; ) Plus there are cupboards filled with instant soups, crackers, chips, etc. We also have coffee, hot chocolate, soda, fruit juices and supplementary drinks.

There is a patio right off the room that we can use when the weather is warm. It's very nice and anyone who wants to haul their IV pump out there and get some fresh air and sun is welcome to do so.

You can see it isn't a bad place to go at all. Before I went I thought it would be all sterile and medical looking but it isn't. That was a very pleasant surprise. It's a welcoming place to spend five hours. Maybe not exactly like home, but they make every attempt to create the same kind of happy and relaxing atmosphere.

The sun is up now (well, it's light out) and so is Dave so I guess it's time to start the day. I hope all of you have a wonderful day and that your week starts out great tomorrow. Know that I'm always thinking about you guys and am forever grateful for the support you give me.

Until next time . . . share your laughter.

9 Comments:

  • At 1/14/2007, Blogger Peg Bastin said…

    Hi Linda,

    Your chemo room sounds a lot like the room our patients had when I worked in Oncology except we had no outdoor area.

    What impressed me the most is that the patients had more positive and cheery outlooks than we did sometimes. Very few felt sorry for themselves. It was very inspiring to be part of their care.

    Glad you are continuing to do well.

    Peg

     
  • At 1/15/2007, Blogger Linda said…

    Hi Peg,

    You're right about the attitudes shown by the patients. Very seldom does one of us seem down and that's usually only when someone isn't feeling well physically that particular day. For the most part there is a lot of kidding and joking as well as many smiling faces. It really is a bright and cheery atmosphere. Certainly not what one would expect from a roomful of cancer patients. I guess we're a resilient lot. ; )

    Blessings . . .
    Linda

     
  • At 1/18/2007, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

     
  • At 1/18/2007, Blogger Linda said…

    This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

     
  • At 1/19/2007, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hi Girl
    I worked on Mon. and Tues. and every time I got ready to say something I got paged. And, now it is the weekend and I am working all weekend. Maybe we can touch base next week.

    Wed. and Thur. were interesting days for me. Will tell you about it later. I was on the computer very little.

    Sounds like since you have to have chemo that you are in just the right place for it.

    Take care, my friend
    Elaine

     
  • At 2/09/2007, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hi Linda,
    SOrry, I haven't been online much lately. Things have been hectic, but nothing like what you have been going thru.

    I'm so glad that the chemo is going OK for you. I think about you alot and you are in my daily prayers.

    You will beat this, I just know it, knowing you. A very strong lady, you are. And this blog will help so many people who are going thru the same thing.

    Thought about calling you the other day, but I hate the thought of waking you up if you are tired or having a bad day. But maybe I just will anyways, huh?

    Take care, my friend. Thinking of you always!

    Coke

     
  • At 2/12/2007, Blogger Jan Emo said…

    So glad to hear things are going good. You'll beat this Linda. Sounds like a nice place, not cold and bland.
    Really miss "All the Write Stuff" and hearing from you. Take care girl.

    Jan

     
  • At 2/20/2007, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hi Linda,
    I am back from a three month stay in Australia. I like the idea of a blog, it means I can find out how you are doing. I am so glad to hear that you had good news from your last visit. I will have
    a chocolate bar for you. It will be like going on a diet as a nice thing to do for someone else. How is that for rationalizing?

    Look after yourself
    Evelyn Underwood

     
  • At 2/27/2007, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hello Linda,

    Been quite a while since I last emailed you but I have been following your upbeat blog. You maybe in pain but you sure make others feel better through your words. Thanks.

    Linda, I came across this cancer-related article recently, see if it will add to your store of knowledge.

    http://www.newscientist.com/channel/health/mg19325874.700-cheap-safe-drug-kills-most-cancers.html

    I wonder what they are talking about.

    Warm Regards,

    Jerome

     

Post a Comment

<< Home