"Never Say Die" . . . Living with Lung Cancer

A chronicle of my journey with lung cancer. I'll share what I feel and learn along the way ~ hoping it will help my fellow travelers make their way down this rocky road that no one wants to take.

Friday, April 13, 2007

Back once more . . .

See, I told you I'd be back today but I bet you didn't believe me. I can't blame you for that ~ I haven't been too reliable . . . but, I'm really going to try hard to change that bad habit.

Today, I want to talk a little about some decisions I've made concerning my business. I've decided to give up copywriting. It's simply too taxing now and I don't want to devote that much time and energy to it. Even more importantly, I've decided that writing for Internet marketing is not the kind of writing I want to do. In a short time, I will be removing my Stress-Free Copy site from the net. That means that All the Write Stuff will come down too. At the present time, I don't want to commit to a regular ezine. I never know how I'm going to feel and I don't want the pressure of having to meet a schedule. Publishing in any other way is simply not fair to subscribers. So, even though I'll miss the ezine a lot ~ it was fun to do ~ it's out of the picture for the time being. That's not to say that I might not return later with another ezine with a little different content.

Because the Stress-Free Copy Site is coming down, that domain email will no longer exist. I've already notified many of you about the new address. If you haven't received that information and want to know where you can reach me, other than at this blog, please email me within the next week and I'll give it to you. I don't want to list it here because I'd like the new address to be as free from spam as I can make it. I've found that spammers even use blogs to get their word out so I'm not going to make it easy for them. ; ) I'm sorry for the inconvenience but I'm tired of searching through several hundred pieces of junk mail to reach the messages I want to read. I'm sure you can identify with that. : )

Continuing along a different vein . . .

I don't know about where you guys are but the winter here has been terribly long! Here it is April 13th and we still have snow on the ground with more in the forecast. I can't say that I haven't enjoyed most of it but, c'mon, enough is enough. Just when it seemed that spring had arrived and the flowers started poking up their happy little heads, we were hit with several snowstorm. It's been very disheartening! Even for someone like me who enjoys the beauty of winter, it's gotten just a bit old.

Jenn and I had started walking and had to call a halt to that because of the cold temperatures, wind and ice. I haven't gotten much exercise all winter and my muscles are getting very weak and stiff. I need to get out and move! Who knows, walking may even help with this excess of fat I'm currently plagued with. I can't walk too fast but anything has to be better than nothing. Besides, I've missed being out there in the fresh air with all of nature's wonders only a touch away. So, I'm hoping this is winter's last hurrah and that spring will finally come for real.


Getting outside is even more important for me right now because, due to my low blood counts, I'm forbidden to go anywhere there are lots of people. That pretty much includes stores, restaurants, movies and any other thing you can think of. About the only place I go is to the Cancer Institute for my weekly regimen, tests, or doctor appointments. It gets kind of boring to say the least. While I'm basically a homebody, this has been a bit extreme. LOL However, I have now seen almost all of the Law and Order shows I missed the first time around, as well as the ER reruns from back when all the good people were still on. Now I'm waiting for the West Wing reruns! The only thing daytime TV is good for is reruns. ; )

Jenn is knitting baby afghans and blankets to sell and I've been helping her out with that. I think I've knitted about 6 or 7 so far. I have to do the easy ones though because my "chemo brain" tends to get confused if the pattern is too complicated. Of all the side effects of chemo, I think that bothers me the most. I try hard to keep exercising my brain so that I don't become a worse dullard than I already have. I play a lot of word games and that kind of thing to keep my brain functioning on something other than TV reruns. LOL My medical people tell me that this symptom goes away after you've been off chemo for a while but I don't know how long that is and it seems that chemo is going to be a pretty large part of my life from here on.

Unless one of the new technologies turns out to be a cure, there is none for me. As my oncologist tells me, we hope for remissions but, eventually, the tumors will come back. She says we just have to keep chasing them with whatever means we have. That's why cancer is no longer considered so much a terminal disease as a chronic disease. But new things are being discovered all the time and so we just have to keep hoping. I read things all the time that sound very promising so I don't have a fatalistic attitude about my disease. As I've said all along, "it is what it is and we just have to deal with it". There are worse things!

I've had a few bad moments but I have to say that I've kept them at a minimum. Mostly they come when I allow myself to get frustrated by the little things. I have to keep telling myself, like I tell everyone else . . . "don't sweat the small stuff and everything is small stuff". I heard that in some movie and have adapted it to my own life. It really makes sense when you think about it. Think back to things that were happening in your life a few years ago, things that had you all tied in knots. How much do those things matter today? If you're still fighting the same battles, it's probably time to get help managing the issues. But most of the time, what seemed so important three years ago isn't very important at all today. So, in the grand scheme of things, and in retrospect, it was just small stuff even though it seemed gigantic then.

Jenn is here so I'll have to continue this tomorrow. I have to go and play my role as RPIA. LOL LOL


Until tomorrow . . . Don't sweat the small stuff and it's all small stuff.

2 Comments:

  • At 4/15/2007, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I am at work and decided to check your blog-glad that I did. It is great to see you writing here again. You have been in my thoughts and prayers. Will talk to you later. Elaine

     
  • At 4/29/2007, Blogger Linda said…

    Hi Elaine,

    It's good to hear from you! I hope everything is going well and that Missy is still feeling good. It has been awhile, hasn't it? Thanks for all the emails ~ sorry I haven't been more communicative.

    Warm thoughts,
    Linda

     

Post a Comment

<< Home